Question: Can you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a wood burning stove?

The simple answer is yes, you can get carbon monoxide from a wood-burning stove. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is also possible with additional fuels such as gas, oil, solid minerals and biomass. It is only faulty or badly maintained equipment which will put you at danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

How do I keep carbon monoxide out of my wood stove?

Keep all fuel burning appliances and engines vented properly, including: space heaters, grills, furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces, generators and engines. Be sure to open the damper on your wood fireplace every time you use it. Operate all space heaters in a well-ventilated area.

Does wood burning produce carbon monoxide?

When wood is burned, the combustion reaction produces heat and emissions in the form of water, organic vapors, gases, and particulates. The emissions of most concern are carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur oxides (SOx), and nitrogen oxides (NOx).

Are fumes from wood burning stoves dangerous?

Health risks Wood smoke can cause eye, nose, and throat irritations, as well as headaches, nausea, and dizziness. It can make asthma and other breathing (respiratory) problems worse.

Is it OK to leave the flue open overnight?

The smoke from burning wood contains carbon monoxide, so in order to prevent this toxic byproduct from entering your home, it is important to leave the flue open overnight. This enables a draft to carry the compound out into the atmosphere, instead of sinking down the chimney and saturating the room.

Do you need a carbon monoxide detector with a wood burner?

If your wood-burning stove was installed after October 2010 then you must have a carbon monoxide detector installed, too. It is a legal requirement. Whether on the ceiling or the wall, the horizontal distance between the carbon monoxide alarm and the woodburner should be between 1m and 3m.

Can opening a window help with carbon monoxide?

An open window will help slow down carbon monoxide poisoning as it will allow for better ventilation in your home and will expel some of the gas before you inhale It. Opening two or more windows will ensure good ventilation and further reduce the amount of gas in the room.

Are wood stoves going to be banned?

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves. The regulations limit the amount of “airborne fine-particle matter” to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

Are wood burning stoves going to be banned?

At the moment, wood stoves are not being banned. The Clear Air Strategy has promised that only the cleanest stoves are available for sale by 2022. This wont affect the kinds of wood burners you can run, but may mean that you can only buy certain stoves for a couple more years, before theyre phased out.

Can I go to bed with a fire in the fireplace?

Can I go to sleep with a fire in the fireplace? You should never go to sleep while a fire is in the fireplace. It may seem safe—after all, the fire is small and controlled behind a metal grate. Before going to bed, make sure the fire is completely extinguished.

What happens if you leave the flue open?

Unfortunately, that open damper means house air is running up the flue or cold air might be traveling down. Another cautionary note: A wood-burning fire must be completely out and the ashes cold before the damper can be shut or other sealing is put into place. The hazard is carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Do stoves give off carbon monoxide?

Although you may not know it, the gas stove and oven in your home can be sources of carbon monoxide. However, all of them have the potential to produce carbon monoxide so long as it is burning in low oxygen. A kitchen stove and oven can produce CO albeit in mild concentrations.

Are wood burning stoves being banned in UK?

Currently it is illegal for you to burn wood or house coal on your open fire. This will continue. If you have a stove (or are having one fitted) it must be DEFRA approved. You should only burn dry wood or approved smokeless fuel.

How can I tell if there is carbon monoxide in my house?

Signs of a carbon monoxide leak in your house or home Sooty or brownish-yellow stains around the leaking appliance. Stale, stuffy, or smelly air, like the smell of something burning or overheating. Soot, smoke, fumes, or back-draft in the house from a chimney, fireplace, or other fuel burning equipment.

How long does it take to air out a house with carbon monoxide?

This means that if you are breathing fresh, carbon monoxide-free air, it will take five hours to get half the carbon monoxide out of your system. Then it will take another five hours to cut that level in half, and so on. It is best to consult a medical professional if you feel the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What are the regulations for wood burning stoves?

The general rule is that if your stove is less than 5kW, usually no ventilation is required. If it is has an output of more than 5kW, you will need 550mm2 of permanent ventilation for every additional kilowatt. So, for example: A 6kW stove would need 550mm2 ventilation.

Is it OK to leave fireplace burning overnight?

Sparks and ashes can pop, potentially starting a fire outside the fireplace and causing fire damage. Keep your fireplace burning for extended periods of time. Leaving a fireplace lit overnight or even over 5 hours can damage your fireplace and increase the risk of a house fire. Keep flammable items near your fireplace.

Can I leave my fireplace burning overnight?

Never leave your burning fireplace unattended. The smoke from burning wood contains carbon monoxide, so in order to prevent this toxic byproduct from entering your home, it is important to leave the flue open overnight.

Is it bad to leave the chimney flue open?

Close it when its not it use. Operating the fireplace with the damper partially closed will not generate more heat. Instead, blocking the passage through the flue will result in smoke entering the home. The damper should be kept open until all embers are finished burning to prevent smoke from escaping into the home.

Reach out

Find us at the office

Dayberry- Antinucci street no. 75, 92993 Belfast, United Kingdom Northern Ireland

Give us a ring

Daan Hilger
+47 129 536 826
Mon - Fri, 9:00-17:00

Tell us about you